Chances are, by now you've heard SOMETHING about the anti aging benefits of Vitamin D. This little miracle vitamin (specifically Vitamin D3) has been getting a lot of press lately.
If you haven't heard about the benefits of Vitamin D, here is a brief list:
- inhibits inflammation (major cause of aging)
- maintains calcium balance
- helps to regulate blood pressure
- boosts your immunity
- protects against some cancers (mainly colon)
There are lots of other research studies being done with additional benefits discovered all the time.
But here is some controversial news about Vitamin D you may NOT know:
Fact: Your body produces Vitamin D naturally with sun exposure.
What you don't know:
- Wearing sunscreen inhibits Vitamin D production.
- The melanin in dark skinned and tan people inhibits production of the vitamin, so if you are dark or tan, you may be deficient.
- As we age, we produce less Vitamin D from the sun, so if you are over 40, you may be deficient.
- Overweight people need more Vitamin D than slender people.
Fact: Most sunscreens actually block the rays that produce Vitamin D. And in fact, the incidence of cancer has actually gone UP since people started using sunscreen!
What You Don't Know: It turns out that since Vitamin D3 protects against some cancers, by inhibiting the sunshine from sunscreen, we are actually increasing our cancer rate.
Needless to say, the American Dermatology Association is all up in arms, saying it's ridiculous to even suggest anyone go out in the sun without sunscreen.
Fact: The government recommends 400 units of Vitamin D per day
What You Don't Know: Most research indicates that 4,000 units per day is needed.
Although it is possible to have Vitamin D toxicity from taking too much, the incidences are actually quite rare. Testing is recommended.
Important questions to ask yourself:
Am I deficient in Vitamin D?
How do I get tested?
What do I look for when buying Vitamin D?
There are many easy ways to make anti aging a part of your life. Check the website below to get more information about Vitamin D and make an informed buying decision.
|Learn what you need to know before buying Vitamin D. For resources and recommendations, visit Vitamin D Resources and get the free book Healthy Aging.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=GiGi_Konwin