What is SilverSneakers?
SilverSneakers is a fitness program for Medicare Advantage members offering programs that encourage older adults and seniors to become involved in physical activity and at the same time offers a social activity. I visited the SilverSneakers website, here’s what they say the program offers:
- access to conditioning classes, exercise equipment, pool, sauna and other available amenities
- customized SilverSneakers classes designed exclusively for older adults who want to improve their strength, flexibility, balance and endurance
- health education seminars and other events that promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- a specially trained Senior AdvisorSM at the fitness center to introduce you to SilverSneakers and help you get started
- member-only access to online support that can help you lose weight, quit smoking or reduce your stress
- SilverSneakers Steps for members without convenient access to a location
Just a few days ago, I visited one of our local area facilities and talked to the front desk about the SilverSneakers Fitness Program. They told me members who come in have a great time, regain flexibility, balance and strength and it offers them social recreation.
How to Join
If you are enrolled in a Medicare Advantage plan offering SilverSneakers, go to http://www.silversneakers.com.
The site is interactive and you can click on the question “Do I have SilverSneakers” and select your state and it will bring up a listing of the plans that are connected with the SilverSneakers program.